9. Boys & Girls Clubs
| 2250 N. Detroit Avenue | The Homer Hanhan Club is one of four sites operated by the Boys & Girls Clubs of Toledo - carrying on John Gunckel's vision from the 1890's. Just like Gunckel's Newsboys Association, the Boys & Girls Club's programs today are carefully designed to support youth development around five major outcomes:
- Positive self-identity
- Educational, employment, social, emotional & cultural competencies
- Community and civic involvement
- Health & well being
- A moral compass
To achieve these outcomes, the Clubs offer programs in the following areas:
- Power Hour: An after school homework help program.
- Cadet Corps: A weekly group club for 7, 8, and 9-year olds.
- Keystone Club: A leadership development group designed for members age 14 through 18.
- Computer Technology: Classes to help youth master important technology skills.
- Sports and Fitness: Learning sportsmanship and participating in healthy activities.
- Resident Camp: Outdoor and environmental education services.
- Arts & Crafts: Providing opportunities for kids to think and be creative.